Ag Education at EFD: Colleges, Apprenticeship, FFA, Junior DAIRY LEADERS
The 2017 Empire Farm Days event provides a showcase for agricultural education success stories, opportunities, scholars and learning opportunities and leadership. Among the activities, exhibits and information sharing at the event August 8, 9 and 10 at Rodman Lott and Son Farms in Seneca Falls, NY, will be:
- Visiting Empire Farm Days for the first time, the American Welding Society Careers in Welding trailer features four virtual reality welders among its hand-on learning exhibits.
- The Cornell PRO-DAIRY Junior DAIRY LEADERS program will graduate its 2017 class of 31 youth representing 19 counties in the Dairy Profit Center at Empire Farm Days on Wednesday, August 9 at 1:30 pm. The statewide program provides hands-on learning about career opportunities in the dairy industry.
- The Cornell Small Dairy Support Program will highlight on-the-job learning opportunities through the national Dairy grazing Apprenticeship program that is also recruiting Master Graziers.
- The NY Ag Leadership Luncheon on Wednesday, August 9 draws farming representatives from all sectors and includes presentation of the New York State Agricultural Environmental Management Award by American Agriculturist, the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets and the Empire State Potato Growers, Inc. and recognition of the 2017 Empire State Potato Growers Scholarship winner Karen Luong of Rushville, NY.
- On Thursday, August 10, students will compete in the NYS FFA Welding Contest for $2,250 in Morrisville State College scholarships. Haun Welding and Briggs and Stratton Power Products sponsor the event.
- On Thursday, August 10, Case International, John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, H&S Farm Equipment, the New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health, Java Farm Supply, Lamb and Webster, and the NY FFA Foundation sponsor the NYS FFA Tractor Driving Safety Contest.
- Colleges and universities offering agricultural degrees with exhibits at the show include Alfred State College, Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Morrisville State College, SUNY Canton, and SUNY Cobleskill.
- The annual Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences reception at Empire Farm Days will be held on Wednesday, August 9 from 2:30 to 4 pm.
Empire Farm Days is the largest outdoor agricultural trade show in the Northeastern U.S. with working equipment demonstrations, crop plots, educational seminars, live animals, farm safety and rural life exhibits. Show hours are 9 am to 5 pm Tuesday and Wednesday, and 9 am to 4 pm Thursday. Parking is $10 per vehicle. Learn more at www.empirefarmdays.com.
- EFD Manager Melanie Wickham, 877-697-7837, email@example.com
- EFD Publicist Kara Lynn Dunn, 315-465-7578, firstname.lastname@example.org